Sunday, May 4, 2008

On Support

I was on support for today's ride. It was about 100 miles in Western Kansas. In one of the first towns we went through, Katie and I pulled over to cheer on the riders. Once I pulled over I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that there was a cop behind me. After getting nervous, it turns out the cop was just checking to make sure I was ok because I had my hazards on and had pulled over. Then we talked about the ride and he was super nice and welcoming. Right after that, this guy with 4 dogs pulled over and was also very nice. Turns out he has a bed and breakfast in that town for cyclists. He had Katie and I come over to see his brand new puppies and meet his wife. If I had been closer to home, I would have taken one of them with me.
Yesterday's break at a donut shop that had run out of donuts.
Hanging out after the ride in the Ness City gym.
At our first rest stop today we ended up stopping at the same spot that the Patriot Guard Riders were meeting up. They are a huge group of motorcyclists that go to the funerals of fallen service men to support the families and block out the protests of WBC and Rev. Phelps. "Reverend" Phelps likes to show up at the funerals to celebrate their deaths because he believes that God killed the service men because they support a country where gays are not persecuted. Phelps was the same guy in NYC that used celebrate the deaths of NYFD and NYPD for the same reasons. Turns out his church is based in Topeka.
To celebrate Cinco de Mayo Eve, our support group made a pinta and had an Oreo lick off at dinner. Fun times in Lyons, KS.

1 comment:

jflan said...

please tell me you ate that store out of donuts....that would be fantastic.
if they were already out of donuts when you got there...that would be a tragedy...